Turmeric: The Golden Spice and Your Dog’s Health
Let's talk about the benefits of the golden spice for your K9!
WHAT IS TURMERIC?
Turmeric is actually a spice native to India and Southeast Asia which is typically produced by crushing the root into a vibrant powder.
A perennial flowering plant of the ginger family, turmeric is often a key ingredient in many Asian and Indian dishes with a mustard-like, slightly bitter flavor. History shows it's also been used as a textile dying agent for saris and robes for Buddhist monks. It's also a familiar component in Indian traditional/alternative medicines and therapies including Ayurvedic or Siddha.
The beneficial, natural and active chemical compound in turmeric is called curcumin and is typically sold as an herbal supplement that benefits humans as well as our canine friends.
CAN TURMERIC HELP K9s?
The short answer is Yes!
The active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, offers a variety of therapeutic properties, such as:
- An antioxidant;
- An anti-inflammatory;
- An antibacterial;
- An antiviral;
- An antifungal;
- An anticancer agent;
- A pain reliever; and
- A wound healer.
Keep reading to learn more about the top 5 benefits turmeric can offer your beloved canine companion to help them live their best lives!
TURMERIC: 5 BENEFITS FOR YOUR DOG1. Behind most disease in underlying inflammation. While not all inflammation is "bad," chronic inflammation can lead to degenerative health issues including:
- Kidney, Dental and Digestive Disease
2. Since turmeric is a powerful antioxidant, studies have shown curcumin could help stop pre-cancerous cells from becoming full-blown cancer.
It's estimated that one-half of all adult dogs will be challenged with cancer. So turmeric may be a natural and powerful way to help protect your dog.
3. Arthritis is a common issue, particularly with larger breed dogs. Arthritis is again the result of chronic inflammation and turmeric can effectively relieve the pain and stiffness associated with this degenerative condition.
4. Gastrointestinal disorders are also the result of inflammation. The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric can help ease the inflammation of the gut.
5. K9 allergies and joint pain are commonly treated with steroids which often create negative and unwanted side effects. Studies that curcumin is just as effective as dangerous steroids but without the side effects.
A FINAL NOTE
It's easy to get treats with turmeric for your dog; we offer 4 different kinds, ready to share!
If you decide to give your dog turmeric directly, work with an integrative or holistic veterinarian first so they can best advise you relative to your dog's own medical history. While side effects are rare with turmeric, they are possible especially with certain health issues, other supplements and/or medications. (You can find a holistic vet here if you don't have one: www.ahvma.org/find-a-holistic-veterinarian/.)
What you do need to know is curcumin can be hard for your dog to absorb on its own. so it's important to add a healthy fat.
When turmeric is combined with coconut oil, your dog will be able to significantly absorb the curcumin for maximum benefit. Turmeric can also be made into a "golden paste" (the link to the recipe is below), a gravy or turmeric oil (find recipes here).
Always made in the USA
with 100% all-natural, USA-sourced
ingredients and absolutely no
(Check out all the healthy Dogs Love Kale products at DogsLoveKale.com.)
Subscribe to our blog to receive our bi-monthly blog posts.
Want MORE great K9 content?
The Top 5 Health Benefits of Turmeric for Dogs
Turmeric for Dogs: The 2018 Definitive Guide
Healing with Turmeric Golden Paste for Dogs
Turmeric for Dogs
10 Reasons Why Turmeric is Good for Dogs